Chemical Tanker Familiarization
The purpose of the Chemical Tanker Familiarization course is to familiarize officers and ratings starting to work on board of chemical tankers with the specific aspects of cargo handling and safety systems attributed to these vessels. The course is the analogue of the Basic Training for Oil and Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations and includes similar modules.
After the completion of the Chemical Tanker Familiarization training delegated will:
• Acquire overall understanding of the risks and hazards associated with the transportation of the chemical cargos in bulk;
• Obtain knowledge of the chemical tanker layout together with an overview of integral parts chemical tanker of cargo system;
• Gain sufficient understanding of cargo operations i.e. loading, discharging, cargo compatibility and care during transfer;
• Be able to use tanker firefighting equipment and adhere to safety and emergency procedures.
• Chemical tanker theory – types, terminology, layout;
• Types of chemical cargo, physical and chemical properties;
• Chemical cargo hazards;
• Cargo system and cargo containment;
• Cargo handling operations overview;
• Fire fighting and pollution prevention.
Target Audience: Junior deck officers and ratings, cadets; all crew responsible for cargo handling on chemical tankers.
Duration: 5 days.